The Chetrit gang has been in charge of the Chelsea Hotel for a year now. Despite dozens of law suits in Housing and Supreme court they have been less successful in evicting tenants than the previous Krauss/Elder regime. (Krauss & Elder picked off numerous tenants while preparing the building for sale.) They have, however, been much more successful in demolishing the interior of the historic hotel. (In part, this was because the Hotel was under a full Stop Work Order for two years under Krauss/Elder. Currently the basement remains under a SWO because of illegal work done during the Krauss/Elder era.) Up until this point they haven't had much success in reconstructing the rooms. (It's hard to tell whether they are really attempting to finish construction or if it is part of their plan to annoy us as long as possible so we will want to leave.)
In general, our day-to-day plagues include: dust, mold, loss of electricity, leaks, floods, jackhammers, filty floors, lack of elevator service, lack of art and halls without walls.
2. The White Wash Begins - The Observer, August 9, 2011
3. A peek inside the Chelsea Hotel renovation - The Real Deal, October 6, 2011
4. Tenants' struggles heat up at the Chelsea Hotel - People's World, December 19, 2011
5. Patti Smith Cancels Concert after Chelsea Hotel Residents Protest, WNYC, December 13, 2011
6. Chelsea Hotel Tenants Head Back to Housing Court, WNYC, May 7, 2012