The Virtual Hotel Chelsea which was created by Mykal Skall in May 2009 was recently forced to scale back its operations because to keep the Virtual Hotel Chelsea afloat was taking a considerable amount of energy, money, and time of a few dedicated individuals. Mykal's announcement that he would have to close the Virtual Hotel Chelsea was met with sorrow by supporters inside and outside of the virtual world. However, sentiments aren't accepted as payment even in Second Life. So, here is how you can use your real life resources to help keep the Virtual Chelsea Hotel going. And be generous, these guys have a lot of restoration to do.
Paypal - email@example.com just for donations to this project. It was said to us that if 100 people who cared about the Hotel donated just $20, that would sustain our operating costs for 1 year. We’ve already started receiving donations and it looks like this can be a reality.
Sponsorships - We are also seeking creative ways to sustain this project over time, or at least until LL goes belly up some day (at which point we will move it elsewhere for posterity) and are considering the following ideas:
- If you donate at the $200 level you’ll get a virtual bronze plaque on the outside of the hotel!
- If you donate at the $100 level we can place your name on one of the mailboxes!
- If you donate $20 or more, you’ll get a virtual bronze sunflower placed on the stairwell railings!
- You can always stop by the current build by joining SL to see the progress and donate to any of the spinning “Warhol Soup Cans” that you see.
- We can make a virtual version of your business, gallery, etc. in SL near the Chelsea, or corporate sponsorships, (Chetrit, Krauss, et. al. excluded!), or advertising for a monthly fee.
- You could sponsor a “special” virtual item that would remain in the hotel for guests and visitors to see, maybe the baby carriage, a famous author’s desk, or Sid’s bass?
- We are also seeking partnerships from RL musical artists, indy labels, and gallery owners. This gives your artists a live outlet from the comfort of their own home or studio, and gives us new talent in SL.
Mykal writes "We will be back up and running very, very soon, and can’t wait to welcome our SL dysfunctional family back. Anyone who was renting at the time of the shut-down will get two months free rent, and we are currently taking reservations for the prime spots.
We will of course be providing the best of SL’s singer/songwriters on a weekly basis, but also have some new events coming up, such as a regular open mic poetry night, listening parties of albums by Chelsea related artists, and readings of literature by Hotel authors!
If you have any ideas, comments, or questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, friend me on facebook, and join the facebook group “Virtual Hotel Chelsea” for updates and pictures of the progress, or check us out “in world” by joining Second Life."